"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Totoro Party #3- Catbus

So did I mention how much I love Scotcheroos? And did I also happen to mention what good luck that is? Because I made countless flippin batches of this stuff over the last week. I would say about half of it went into the Catbus. I know that those of you who've never seen My Neighbor Totoro are just wondering what the hell I'm going on about, but it's one of my favorite movies. Really, go see it. Even if you don't have kids.

PA180024

Oh, and an interesting bit of info... it wasn't until I started looking around for Totoro images for inspiration that I found this, which really cracks me up for some reason. Maybe because I have the maturity of a 10 year old. And just for the record, our Catbus was not anatomically correct. In fact, the more observant of you may have noticed that he doesn't even have legs.

At first we were planning to just make the top part of the bus out of the Scotcheroos and put it on top of a couple layers of cake. And it was Jenny's brilliant idea to form the top part over a greased up loaf pan. However, at about 10 o'clock the night before the party, not only did it completely squash the cake when we put it together, but part of the top started to fall apart as well. (I guess that's another Don't Do What Donnie Don't Does- don't put the heaviest part of the cake on top. Doi.)

So, after Jeff and I sat staring silently at the cake for about 10 minutes, trying to figure whether to just scrap the whole thing, I went to the store to buy my third giant box of Rice Krispies in a week and we put that sucker back together. This time, using the Scotcheroos for the entire thing.

DSC_2663.jpg

Beyond that, the most difficult part was getting the head to stay up. So we decided not to. We just left it in the cake pan and used the sides as support.

PA180014

Kenzie even piped "Happy Birthday" on the destination sign, which I think might possibly be my favorite part of the whole party.

PA180012

BTW, for anyone attempting this, the sign, eyes, nose and teeth are all made out of gumpaste. And the piping was done with royal icing.

--------------------------------
Related Posts-
Totoro Party #1- Scotcheroo Recipe
Totoro Party #2- Dustbunnies
Totoro Party #4- Totoro Cake
Fine Art from the Recycling Bin

6 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Wow, that is pretty amazing!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Catbus! It looks so much like the one in the movie. You have done a great job on the party theme. :)

Oh, and have you seen Pom Poko? It will have you laughing for sure if you think the Catbus's bits and pieces are funny.

Anna said...

So cutely awesome!

I feel the need to watch this a lot more over the next six months so I can copy you and throw Totoro party for my daughter's next birthday. I'm thinking dustbunny pinata...

Anonymous said...

I love totoro!! I have to send this image to my nephew, who loooves the cat bus

Acornbud said...

Very cute. Thanks for sharing the Scotcheroo recipe.

Jennifer Finch said...

My favorite part is the empty bottle of wine. I would have needed it too! Cute idea.