"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Spicy Pickled Carrots

I had my first taste of these this last winter, when Jenny, Aurora and I stopped off at a little burrito place in my neighborhood.

Soon I started thinking that I ought to figure out the recipe for myself, because, while they're not that expensive at the restaurant, I knew they'd be even cheaper to make at home. And the idea of having them as close as my refrigerator door was wonderfully appealing.

P7033054

These are so addictive. I could sit and eat an entire bowl of them. And since I'm at home during the day, having carrots that actually taste good to snack on is brilliant.

My internet search turned up various recipes, which I've combined into this one. The one that makes me happy.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
3 cloves of garlic (peeled and sliced)
3 bay leaves
8 peppercorns
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 to 3 jalapenos (sliced)
1 pound carrots (peeled and chopped into whatever size your heart desires)
Optional Vegetables to try instead of carrots
1 bunch radishes (cleaned and trimmed)
1 onion (sliced)
cauliflower

P7033051 copy

Instructions
-Add the vinegar, water and all the spices (including the jalapenos) to a pot and bring to a boil.
-Add the carrots (or whatever other type of vege you want to pickle... radishes, onion, cauliflower) and simmer until they are the texture you prefer. Joey likes them pretty crunchy. I prefer them cooked a bit more. I went ahead and added a few radishes in with the carrots for this batch, but I would suggest doing them separately so that they each get cooked to the right texture.
-Use a slotted spoon to scoop the vegetables into a mason jar (or two).
P7033052
-Pour in the liquid until everything is completely covered (note- you most likely won't need all of the liquid unless your vegetables take up more than one jar)
-Screw on a lid and pop in the fridge.
-Really, you can go ahead and eat these as soon as they've cooled, but know that they do get better the longer you can let them sit. If you *can* let them sit, that is.

What other vegetables do you think this would work with?

Cabbage or Zucchini, maybe? But those wouldn't really need to be cooked for more than a minute or two, if at all.

Maybe I'll have to try those today.

14 comments:

Dot said...

Looks so pretty! I've linked to this in the spotlight on Foodwhirl today.. http://foodwhirl.com/spotlight/spotlight-spicy-pickled-carrots

Dot

FinnyKnits said...

Good call! I have a ton of carrots and the garden is just starting to make me some jalapenos...

Wander to the Wayside said...

Yeah, I was gonna suggest zucchini. Sounds really good! What's the predominant spice taste?

Wendy said...

Dot, thanks so much for the linky love!

Finny, I love how you put that. The idea of the garden making things for you is perfect. My garden is a lazy bitch, oh wait, that's me.

Linda (Wander), I would say jalapeno with vinegar. Doesn't sound great maybe, but these are wonderful. I have to tell Joey to stop eating them or she'll just keep going and going. I bet Davie would like them.

6512 and growing said...

Yum yum yum!
Even my kids loved pickled carrots!

Anonymous said...

How amazing! There is something in the air lately, as my ManBoyFriend decided to try pickling some carrots recently, too, and also with spice!

His differ in that they are completely raw going into the pickle. He just put carrots and vinegar into a jar, dropped a bit of raw ginger in, then waited. He added a dried ghost pepper a few days later for a little kick.

For me, it's a roundhouse kick to the face. He likes it, though, and zucchini sounds like a good bet, also!

Lynch Family said...

LOVE pickled carrots. Actually, I think I would eat pickled nails if I made them. Vinegar is awesome. Thanks for the great post!

Shannon said...

they look so fabulous! thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

What about green beans? I'm about to have a lot of carrots and green beans, so maybe I need to try both and send word on the verdict.
My damn cat...urch...my husbands damn cat destroyed my jalepeno plant. I'm bitter.

Alice said...

Hey Wen -- How hot (spicy heat) are these? I've gotten to be such a woose(sp?).

Wendy said...

Oh Heather Jane, green beans would be wonderful!

Alice, you can make these as spicy as you'd like, just add fewer jalapenos. Also, if you leave them whole, I think that helps too.

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

One word: YUM.

I have been hooked on making fridge pickles/quick pickles this summer with a cuke and some salt, rice vinegar, and honey, but you just upped the pickled ante with this recipe! Wow. This sounds great.

MWebster said...

Excellent. Will definitely have to try these. I am always on the prowl for new recipes to try. Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

First time visitor here. These sound amazing! I am going to try carrots, and the green beans. And also some cauliflower! And then I will start experimenting... Thanks for the recipe! :)