As I believe I mentioned, the original inspiration for Randa’s room redecoration was a thrifted sheet. I really loved it and wanted to do something with it for myself (maybe in my craft room). But at the same time, I realized that it would look great turned into a comforter for Randa. I guess part of me was hoping that it would be too much for her, but when she saw it, she said, “Oh, I love it,” so it was settled.
Slightly Off-Topic Thoughts- In case any of you are grossed out by using thrifted (and well washed) sheets, just think of how many people have slept (and done Lord-knows-what) on hotel sheets. As far as I know, no one has ever contracted any communicable diseases from sleeping at a motel. Well, I’m sure plenty have, but I seriously doubt it was from the sheets.
I'd also found another plain white, jersey knit sheet that was super soft. I thought it would be perfect for the underside of the cover. But, unless you’re experienced with working with jersey fabric (and if you are, I have a hard time believing you’d need my advice on how to sew anything), I wouldn’t suggest using it. That stuff is too fiddley. And stretchy. Which made the sides go a bit wonky. But, in the end, it didn’t matter too much because the down comforter inside is fairly poufey and hides a lot of mistakes.
To make this, I basically used 2 sheets, sewn up on 3 edges (the top and both sides). To close up the bottom, you could use snaps, velcro, buttons or ties. I haven't figured out which is my favorite way, so I'll let you decide for yourself.
If any of you out there are interested in more detailed instructions, just let me know. I've got plans for two more of these (though the perfect sheets have yet to be found) so I can do up a tutorial if you'd like.
Also, the bottom seam was uneven due to the jersey fabric. But Randa hasn’t noticed, so nobody had better tell her.
Custom Made Chalkboard Paint