"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Friday, October 3, 2008

Are You Registered To Vote?

I've included two clips from the movie Iron Jawed Angels, which is based on the true story of the suffragists who sacrificed so much in order to earn American women the right to vote. They were jailed because they were picketing the White House and were charged with obstructing traffic.


(link)

For this second one, you might want to stop watching at about the 2 and a half mark if you're squeamish. It's worth watching at the beginning, though, because of the beautiful and inspiring song. I'll be singing it as I fill out my ballot.


(link)

I'd like to provide some info about voter registration for my American readers. IMPORTANT- Many states have deadlines in the next day or two.
-Last days to register to vote (by state)- Click Here
-Links to the various voting processes (by state)- Click Here
-At the top right of either of these pages is a red link that says Register To Vote. Click it to bring up an online form. Some states allow you to check your registration online. Most let you register online and some require you to print out the form, sign it and mail it in.
-If you really want to help your candidate (as well as be absolutely sure that your vote is verifiable in the case of a recount), request an absentee ballot. You don't have to stand in line and can take as long as you want to fill out the form, while sitting in the peace and quite of your own house.
-Another great resource is Project Vote Smart. This non-partisan site also has information about voter registration as well as voting records, biographies and interest group ratings for the various candidates.

No comments: