"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Friday, February 15, 2008

Rodrigo Y Gabriela

My voice is hoarse, I feel hung over and I've spent most of the morning watching videos on You Tube.

We went to see Rodrigo Y Gabriela last night at the Fillmore and I don't know that I've ever done so much singing, jumping, dancing, clapping or screaming at a concert (and I saw the Explore Monogomy tour).

That's a joke, people.

Anyway, Gabriela and Rodrigo are this fantastic combination of cool and adorable. Their website has links to animal welfare causes, a cancer program and Oxfam Ireland. And Gabriela cusses like a sailor. She must have learned English in Ireland because she says 'foo-kin'. As in, "We'll be glad to get home and have some foo-kin peace and quiet."

Seriously, I wanted to bring them home with me. They just have fantastic energy. At the end of one of her solos, Gabriela stood up with her fists clenched, like in victory. Like, Yay for Me! It was great.

I don't remember the last time that a concert made me so happy. I wish it had been all ages because we would have brought all our kids. I would have loved for them to see these two play.

So, after all the You Tube searching, I've narrowed it down to 3 videos to show you all how fantastic these guys are. I would also like to point out that everything you hear is just done on two guitars. All the percussion is just from pounding on it. To me, Gabriela's playing looks a lot like how they play a Bodhran, an Irish drum. And, yes, it is much better in person.

The first is from the DVD that comes with their CD. It's a little tutorial on how to play like they do (yah, like it would be that easy). It's worth watching just to see how truly amazing they are.


This one shows what I think most people look like when they're doing what they love. Gabriela's so adorable, it almost makes me cry.


And finally, the cover they did of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. It was amazing how easy it was for them to get the crowd involved.


I can't wait for their next album.

---------------------------------
Added Note- I would also like to put up a link from someone who was also at the show and took some fantastic pictures. He's got a slideshow of them here. Thanks, Brian!

2 comments:

Angeleen said...

O...M...G...!

I WANT TO DO THAT!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing, Wendy.

I gotta go now and see if I can find them on iTunes!

WOW!!

Anonymous said...

That was incredible. I can't wait to share this with my husband!

The "wish you were here" almost brought me to tears! (I think from feeling the loss of my pre-mommy self! lol!)

Thanks Wendy!

RVM