"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Oatmeal Yumminess

We eat a lot of oatmeal around here. I haven't made it lately, though, 'cause Joey was getting sort of tired of it. (I was making it at least 4 or 5 times a week.) However, no one could get tired of this...
2007 12 02 004

Especially on a day like this...
2007 11 28 012

Extra Yummy Oatmeal

1 T. Ghee (this is clarified butter, but you can use regular butter too)
1/2 t. cinnamon (or more if you want)
1/4 t. nutmeg (freshly ground if you can... it's so worth it.)
1/8 t. allspice (ground)
1/8 t. cardamom (ground)
1 cup oatmeal (not instant)
2 cups water (or 2 cups almond, rice or soy milk- for added protein)
1 T. brown sugar (or to taste)
small pinch of salt (taste and adjust as necessary) Trust me; this is my secret ingredient.

2007 11 28 006

-First heat the ghee in a pan over medium heat.
-When it's hot, remove from heat and add spices.
-Return to heat for about 10 to 15 seconds, just until the ghee begins to bubble and spices are fragrant.
-Remove from heat and stir in oatmeal until it's nicely coated.
-Add the liquid and return to stove.
-Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until all liquid is absorbed (stirring occasionally and adding extra liquid if needed).

I usually serve this with frozen berries, yogurt (or cream), and nuts. If you really want dessert for breakfast, you can make...

Oatmeal Pie

1 T. ghee (or butter)
1 batch of oatmeal
Apples

-While cooking oatmeal, heat oven to 400 degrees and put in an oven safe skillet for 5 or 10 minutes.
-When oatmeal is done, remove skillet, add butter and allow to melt (be careful of spattering butter; ghee won't do this).
-Add oatmeal to skillet and cover with sliced, chopped or shredded apples.
-You can sprinkle with more cinnamon if you want.
-Return to oven and cook for 15 minutes or so.

So, that's it. Joey and I are off to create a Winter Wonderland a la Soule Mama.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a few things -

Yummy pie! Look forward to trying it.

Bought my girls the entire Electric Company collection 18 months ago. I agree it's the *best*.

http://www.byothermeans.co.uk/ is a great website about homeschooling. Good luck!

Geo said...

Oooo, that sounds and looks so good. I'm the only one at my house eats oatmeal, but maybe it's time I treated myself . . . .

Wendee said...

I'll be sure to try your recipe.

Oatmeal is my favorite winter breakfast. I follow the Joy of Cooking recipe - cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. I always add dried fruit a couple of minutes before it's done so it plumps up. Surprisingly, golden raisins have turned out to be my favorite!

Wendy said...

Thanks Anon, for the great website. I've bookmarked it and will definitely be back.

Geo, you never know, you're family just might like this version. But, make it all for yourself if they don't.

Wendee, I love it with vanilla too. Since I make it so often, I actually try to do different versions, the apple pie version being my favorite lately. And I've tried the dried fruit thing, but my kids don't really like it. So, I stick with fresh or frozen, but it does sound good.