"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Friday, July 6, 2007

This Little Piggie was a Ladybug

A fun idea to turn your toenails into ladybugs. It's great to try with your kids (or on your own nails, if you're a kid at heart- I've done it plenty, myself).

I got this idea from my step-kids' mom; it's clever, fun and relatively easy.

P7060004_edited-1

Supplies
-Regular nail polish
-3-D Scrapbooking Pens (I used Gelly Roll Glaze Pens. They create a raised line, sort of like embossing and they work well on non-porous surfaces (such as painted toenails).
-Clear top coat nail polish

How To
-Paint the nails with regular nail polish and let dry thoroughly.
-When they are absolutely, completely, solidly dry, draw designs on them with the 3-D pens.
-You may need to go back and forth over the line a little bit because even though they say they are for use on non-porous surfaces, they still tend to pool up if you're not careful.
-When the lines from the pens have completely dried, cover the entire nail with a coat or two (depending on the patience of the child in question) of clear top coat. Otherwise, everything comes off the first time they wash their hands and that would be so sad.
-Make sure they don't smear the nails after you apply the clear top coat because it makes all the previous layers soft again. This final layer takes even longer to dry than all the others, so be patient.

At one point in my life, I bought these pens for doing scrapbooking. Painting nails is pretty much the only use these guys see, though.

Here's another picture that shows her fingernails too.



For these, she wanted to alternate the polish color. And I just drew various designs on each nail using a contrasting color. After I finished each hand, she'd quickly look at it, excited to see what I had done... oooh, polka dots, and a bullseye like Target, and a checkerboard, and a spiral... and um Mom, do you know these lines aren't the same thickness?

She's such a perfectionist. I'm actually surprised she didn't ask me to figure out how to superglue antennae to the ends of her toes to make them more realistic.

But she seems happy with them. And I am happy with that.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love the picture of the ladybug toes in the grass!