"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Monday, December 14, 2009

Cooked Sugar Christmas Trees

I'm not sure why it is that I adore these cooked sugar designs.

I guess it's their messiness. I like that no matter how hard you try to control them, they defy you. You really can't be held responsible for their shape because sometimes a big ol glob will fall down, other times you'll be drawing with nothing but thin little threads.

103NCD80_DSC_6447.jpg

I just love how they look like little works of art.

Anyway, my original plan was to use these on cupcakes for a fundraiser for our older girls' music program. But I forgot to pour an extra half inch of trunk, so they couldn't stand up on a cupcake to save their little arboreal lives.

Joey and I instead decided to make a couple batches of giant brownies to display these on. Actually, she did most of the work; I was given oven detail.

For decorating I used white chocolate because the green trees didn't show up very well next to the brown chocolate. After melting and smearing it all over the brownies in a very rustic way (I was hoping it would look like snow on the eaves), it created a perfect visual base.

PC040052

All they needed was a Christmas tree to top it off and a little sprinkle of green.

After finishing the giant brownies, I still had some trees left over. And as I picked one up, it caught the light from a window.

PC140003

So, I made one more batch to use as suncatchers, this time trying to leave a little loop of a drizzle on the top so I could string it up with fishing line in our window. Some of them worked pretty well. Some not as much.

PC140045 copy

But I like them anyway.

If you plan to do this, make sure that you cook the sugar all the way to the hard crack stage. I suggest you actually do the cold water test instead of just relying on temperature. Otherwise, after a day of hanging, they'll stretch out to look like this.

PC130035
(I assure you that when I first hung it up this tree was very pretty)

But if you like abstract art, by all means, don't fret about the temperature. Otherwise, consider this my most recent Don't Do What Donnie Don't Does. Don't stop cooking until you get a thin and brittle thread of cooked sugar when you drop it in water.

Also, just so you know, I went back and deleted like 3 separate instances of the word 'totally' from this post.

You're welcome.

--------------------------

Related Posts
Flower Cupcake Toppers
Fireworks Cake Toppers (this has instructions for working with and drizzling cooked sugar)

13 comments:

Meredith said...

How cute! I just love these! So many great ideas out there today!

Wander to the Wayside said...

Another nice project, Wendy! And I like the sun catcher idea!

Isn't it funny how we have those things that we say all the time that we're just sure will drive other people crazy! I'm terrible at !!!marks and awesome. I think you should be able to say totally as many times as you want on your own blog!!!!!

Leah said...

These are fantastic. The suncatchers are delightful. I'm not much of a candymaker, mostly because I can't resist slopping up all the goo, but this is incredibly appealing. Well done! Beautiful work. Love your spirit.

Kerch said...

hi,
I'm kerch from Malaysia. I really love your picture and your creative idea..nice to meet you.

Wendy said...

Thank you all so much.

And Kerch, nice to meet you too!

S said...

OMG. That last photo totally got me. Totally! ;)

Stacy (Mama-Om) said...

Yeeeesh! Trigger finger...

The mysterious S is really me.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Really great ideas - I looked at the fireworks in July and have finally printed out the recipe to try it out THIS time. Thank you so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow. You really made me want to buy those brownies (that's sarcasm). I hope that no potential buyers read your blog!

A professor of mine recently gave our class a short lecture on why we should not use words like "like", "totally", or "Umm". Apparently, that means you're really smart & are trying to cover it up. Congratulations on being smart!

I love the trees, by the way!

Unknown said...

This is the first time I have been to your blog and I freakin LOVE the idea of making the sugar cake/cupcake/etc. chotzskies! Guess what my 14 year old and I will be doing next week? Woot!

quirky granola girl said...

I *totally* love this idea!

L'ombre de L'obscurité said...

these r amazing shots!!!
excelent!
i saw the in Flickr ans as i said they r wonderful!
btw i am "Tunisia Lover" on Flickr

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

These are so pretty! I love that you used them as suncatchers. I found your blog through your comment on Soulemama