"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Peach Jam- Sweet

Before you cook the peaches, you need to peel them. This really isn't all that bad. And it's even easier with a partner. My favorite part is how gorgeous the flesh is underneath the skin. It has the same pattern and color as the skin does. Honestly, this is my favorite part of the whole process. I could sit and do this all day.

2007 09 05 009_crop

Peeling the Peaches
  • Prepare several containers-
    • Pot of boiling water
    • Bowl of ice water
    • Bowl for peeled peaches
    • Bowl for skins
  • CAREFULLY place 3 or 4 peaches into the boiling water, using a slotted spoon, and cook for 30 seconds. (Splashing boiling hot water onto your neck and face is no fun- trust me. So be gentle!)
  • CAREFULLY remove each of the peaches to the ice water with a slotted spoon.
  • Run a sharp paring knife around the peach (longitudinally), cutting to the pit, but leave the peach together (Keeping it mostly intact until ready to process cuts down on oxidization).
  • Run the knife cross-wise to the first cut (again longitudinally), cutting the peach into fourths.
  • Peel the skin from each of the four sections.
  • Start over with 3 more peaches.
  • When ready to process peaches, pull flesh from stone.
I suggest only peeling as many peaches as you plan to use in one batch. Otherwise, they tend to oxidize and get a bit brown. I don't think this affects the taste or anything, they just don't look as pretty. And isn't 'pretty' a big part of the reason we're doing this anyway?

It's not? Well, it's part of it anyway.

2007 09 03 009

Once I had all mine peeled, I made some of them into gelato and some into jam, which is what I'll describe here.

Necessary ingredients for Peach Jam (these might vary based on the type of canning pectin you buy, but I'll give you the basics, so you get the gist of it. It's really not that hard.)
  • 4 1/2 cups of finely chopped peaches (I pulsed them in the food processor)
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 packet of Sure-Jell fruit pectin.
Instructions
  • You can either wash all the mason jar parts really well in very hot soapy water and then boil them in the canner or run them through the sterilize cycle on your dishwasher. Which one do you think I did?
  • Fill your boiling-water canner half way with water and bring to a simmer.
  • Add the fruit to a 6 or 8 quart pot along with the lemon juice.
  • Measure the sugar into a separate bowl.
  • Pull out 1/4 cup of that sugar and mix with the pectin in yet another bowl.
  • Add the pectin and sugar mixture to the fruit.
  • Bring the fruit to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
  • When it boils, add the rest of the sugar, bring back to a boil and cook for one minute exactly (stirring the entire time). I don't know what kind of disaster will happen if you cook for more or less than one minute, but they use the words exact and I didn't want to find out.
  • Ladle into the sterilized jars, to within 1/8 inch of the top. Wipe the rims clean and cover with the lids. Screw down tightly and place in canner on rack. They should be covered with water by 1 or 2 inches.
  • Cover and bring to a gentle boil.
  • Boil for 10 minutes if you're at sea level, 15 minutes if at 1,000 to 3,000 feet, 20 minutes if at 3,000 to 6,000 feet, 25 minutes if at 6,000 to 8,000 feet and 30 minutes if you live on the moon.
That's it. Pull them out, leave them on the counter and wait for them to seal. After they cool, check the seal by pushing on the top. If it springs back, put it in the fridge and eat within 3 weeks. Let all the others sit at room temperature for 24 hours.

Once I figure out the No-Added sugar version that doesn't involve Splenda (ugh!), I'll be posting that too.

I have a new favorite sound... the 'tink' of a successfully sealing mason jar.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

If you're interested in seeing the comments from the original post, you can check them out here.